- 3/4 cup finely diced salt pork
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons salt pork drippings
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Fry salt pork over low heat until nicely browned.
- Drain fat, saving both drippings and cracklings.
- Sift together corn meal, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Combine eggs, buttermilk and drippings.
- Stir into cornmeal mixture together with cracklings.
- Spread dough in a greased cast iron skillet and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or