Date-Nut Bread (Pan de Datil Molege)
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted and cooled
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups dates, cut-up
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Confectioners' sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- Beat egg whites in large bowl on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat sugar into egg yolks in medium-size bowl; beat on high speed until
thick and lemon colored, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in butter on medium speed until well blended.
- Fold egg yolk mixture into egg whites.
- Gently stir in flour, cinnamon and nutmeg just until moistened; stir in dates
- Pour into pan.
- Bake until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 55 to 60 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes; remove from pan.
- Cool completely; sprinkle top with confectioners' sugar.