Green Chile Corn Cakes
- 2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2/3 cup Masa Harina (or additional cornmeal)
- 1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs well beaten
long hot green chiles, roasted, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup sweet corn kernels
and juices scraped from one medium ear
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano *
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, melted, plus butter for the griddle
* If you can't get fresh, please just omit this as dried just won't do.
- In a large bowl, sift together the cornmeal, Masa Harina, flour, sugar, salt
and baking powder.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, green chiles, corn and
juices and oregano.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients and partially combine.
- Add the melted butter and stir until just combined, do not over-mix.
- Warm a pancake griddle over medium heat. Butter it and working in batches, drop
the batter by 1/4 cupsful onto the heated griddle. Spread the batter into 3-inch
rounds and cook about three minutes or until puffed and golden. Turn the cakes and
cook until lightly colored and cooked through, about two minutes more.
- Serve hot.
Posted by Chyrel at Recipe Goldmine 2/7/2002 11:05 am.