Hot Water Cornbread
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 cup boiling water
- Oil (for frying)
- 1/4 cup butter (at room temperature)
- Combine cornmeal and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in hot water. Dough should be moist enough to hold a shape. Allow dough
to cool enough to shape with your hands.
- Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon of dough into the palm of one hand. Using both hands,
shape the dough into a 1/2-inch thick oval and place on wax paper.
- Heat 1/2 inch oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Slide cornbread patties into hot oil and cook until golden and crisp, 3 to 5
- Turn and cook until golden, about 3 minutes longer.
- Drain on paper towels. Keep warm.
- Brush with soft butter, if desired.
Yield: 2 dozen