Sweet Potato or Pumpkin Fry Bread
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup pureed sweet potatoes or pumpkin, fresh or canned
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar, or to taste
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- Put the flour and sugar in a large bowl and add pureed sweet potatoes or pumpkin
a little at a time. Blend together well and knead until the dough is soft and elastic,
- Cut the dough into 4 to 6 pieces and flatten on your palms until 1/4 to 1/2 inch
thick and approximately 4 inches in diameter.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a heavy skillet, add the dough pieces, and fry until
puffed and golden brown on each side, turning once.
- Drain on absorbent paper and serve hot with butter and syrup.
- Or, make smaller
sizes, dust with confectioners' sugar and serve for dessert or snacks.