- Flour Tortillas (see below)
- Refried beans
- Chili Verde (see below)
- Mozzarella cheese and/or Cheddar cheese and/or Monterey
jack cheese, all grated
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 3 cups diced, roasted and peeled Anaheim
peppers or 1 (28 ounce) can whole green chiles, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 2 pounds diced lean pork or diced lean or ground beef
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon
- Heat flour tortilla on grill about 10 seconds; turn and heat another 10 seconds
- Add about 3/4 cup refried beans; roll. Place on serving plate. Top with Chili
Verde and generous amounts of cheeses, using as desired.
- Zap in the microwave until cheese is melted.
- Flour Tortillas: Mix flour, baking soda, salt and shortening with hands until
thoroughly combined. Add enough warm water to make a manageable dough (easy to roll).
Pinch off pieces of dough about the size of a biscuit. Roll into a circle about
- Put on heated 300 degree F grill for about 6 seconds; turn and cook another 8
seconds. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Tortillas may be frozen. Stack between sheets of waxed paper.
- Chili Verde: Roast Anaheim peppers in a 350 degree F oven for about 15 minutes;
turn and roast an additional 15 minutes. Remove from oven; cool. (The peppers may
be frozen at this point.)
- To peel roasted Anaheim chiles, steam a few minutes; cool as needed, then peel
and dice. Add 2 cups water; set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook pork (or beef) in melted shortening until browned and
- Add flour, garlic salt and pepper, blending well.
- Add Anaheim pepper mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and simmer 10
Other Southwestern burro and burrito recipes you may like...
Baked Steak Burritos
Chicken Burrito Skillet