(Torta de Almendra)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 9-inch round layer pan or 8-inch
- Beat all ingredients except almonds, 1 tablespoon sugar and the liqueur in large
mixer bowl on low speed, scraping bowl constantly, 30 seconds.
- Beat on high speed, scraping bowl occasionally, 3 minutes.
- Pour into pan; sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, round pan for 40 minutes,
the square pan for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar; drizzle with liqueur.
- Cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from pan; cool completely.
Yield: 8 servings