This is a very popular Arizona candy, especially in the airport gift shops.
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Select prickly pear cactus (or small barrel cactus if you own this type of cactus,
since it's illegal to remove it from the desert).
- Remove spines and outside layer with large knife. Cut pulp across in slices one-inch
thick. Soak overnight in cold water.
- Remove from water, cut into 1-inch cubes and cook in boiling water until tender.
- Cook slowly in the following syrup until nearly all the syrup is absorbed. Do
- Syrup (for 2 quarts of cactus cubes):
- Heat all ingredients until sugar is dissolved, then add cactus.
- Remove cactus from syrup; drain and roll in granulated or confectioners sugar.
For colored cactus candy, any vegetable food coloring may be added to the
Source: Arizona Cookbook