Green Corn Tamale Casserole
The wonderful taste of homemade tamales without the fuss!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 cup green chile, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 1 cup Colby cheese, shredded
- Sauté the onion in the olive oil. Add corn, chile and garlic.
- In another skillet, make a roux using the butter and flour. Add the milk and
stir until smooth. Stir in the corn-chili mixture. Add cilantro, salt, cumin and
pepper and stir. Add the eggs.
- Grease a 9 x 13-inch glass casserole dish and layer half of the tortilla strips
on the bottom of the dish. Spoon half of the corn-chile mixture on top of the tortilla
strips. Layer the remaining tortilla strips and top with the remaining corn-chili
mixture. Top with the cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 40 minutes or until nicely browned on top.
Serves 6 to 8.