- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup taco sauce
cup chopped green onions including tops
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped ripe olives,
- 1 ripe avocado, mashed
- 1 cup sour cream
- Tortilla chips
- Brown beef and crumble in a large skillet. Add onions and cook until translucent.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spread refried beans in the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking dish; top with meat
mixture. Sprinkle chiles, then cheeses, then taco sauce over all. Bake at 400 degrees
F for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle green onions and olives over all. Mound mashed
avocado in the center; top with sour cream.
- Serve with chips.
Yield: 4 servings
Source: San Jose Mercury circa 1965
Other Southwestern casserole recipes you may like...
Poblanos Florentine Casserole
Smoked Chicken and Green Chile Bake
Green Corn Tamale Casserole
Chili Casserole with Cornbread