- 1/2 pound 96% lean ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 (15 1/2
ounce) can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 cups cooked white rice
- 1 cup salsa
cup finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese made with 2% milk
- Cooking spray
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Lightly coat a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, brown the ground beef over medium heat until meat is browned
and crumbly. Add the taco seasoning, beans, tomatoes and onion to the saucepan and
simmer for about 10 minutes to combine flavors. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the meat and bean mixture with the rice and salsa. Mix
well and transfer mixture to the baking dish. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until
casserole is heated through.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle the cheese over the casserole.
- Bake for an additional 3 to 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve hot.
Makes 8 (1 1/2-cup) servings
Per 1 1/2-cup serving: 279 calories, 3.3g fat, 48g carbohydrates, 3.6g fiber,
610mg sodium, 8mg cholesterol, 23g protein