Chili Queen Chili
This is, according to the legend, one of San Antonio chili queen's
- 2 pounds beef, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 pound pork, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup suet
- 1/4 cup pork fat
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 quart water
- 4 ancho chiles, seeds and stems removed, chopped fine
- 1 Serrano chile, seeds and stems removed, chopped fine
- 6 dried red New Mexican chiles, seeds and stems removed, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds, freshly ground
- 2 tablespoons Mexican oregano
- Salt, to taste
- Lightly flour the beef and pork cubes. Quickly cook in the suet
and pork fat, stirring often.
- Add onions and garlic and sauté
until they are tender and limp.
- Remove all pieces of fat. Add
the water to the mixture and simmer for 1 hour.
- Grind the chiles in a blender or molcajete. Add to the meat
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for an additional 2 hours.
- Skim off any fat that rises, then serve.
Please shop Amazon here. We are an Amazon affiliate to help defray expenses in maintaining this site. Thank you.