Southwestern Smoked Maine Lobster Chili
Up your chili game with this flavorful version of chili made with lobster
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 onions, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 6 cups Italian plum tomatoes, chopped in large pieces
- 2 cups kidney beans, cooked and drained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Salt, to taste
- 4 ounces green chile peppers
- 2 1/2 pounds Maine Lobster meat, cooked, cold smoked
- Place the bacon in a large pot or Dutch oven and cook over medium heat
until just crisp.
- Remove bacon with slotted spoon and reserve, leaving rendered fat.
- Add onions to bacon fat. Lower heat and cook, stirring occasionally, for
about 3 minutes or until they are soft.
- Stir in garlic, jalapeños, and chili powder and cook five minutes
- Stir in tomatoes (with their liquid), beans, oregano, cumin, vinegar,
- Simmer mixture for 20-30 minutes until it thickens slightly. For a smoky
flavor add 2 teaspoons liquid smoke to lobster, toss and add to chili.
- Add the reserved bacon, green chiles and Maine Lobster. Simmer for 2-3
Yield: 10 servings
Recipe and photo credit: Maine Lobster Marketing Collaborative