Taqueria-Style Pickled Jalapenos and Carrots
- 8-10 jalapenos
- 3 carrots
- 1 red onion
- 4-6 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 8-10 cracked peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- Rinse the jalapenos, then cut into 1/4 inch slices.
- Peel the carrots and cut into 1/4 inch slices.
- Peel and quarter the onion, then julienne.
- Peel and roughly chop the garlic.
- Heat olive oil in a medium size non-reactive saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Saute the onion and garlic for a few minutes.
- Add the jalapenos, carrots and the spices.
- Briefly saute and then add all the spices. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the jalapenos turn army green.
- Fill each jar with the vegetables and top with the brine.
- Store in an airtight glass container in the refrigerator.
These will last for one month in the refrigerator.
Use a non-reactive saucepan when heating the vinegar.
The jalapenos and carrots will be most flavorful after
resting for several hours in the brine.
Do not store vinegar-based food in plastic containers.
Do not used iodized salt as additives may affect the brine.