Churros with Chocolate Dunking Sauce
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Chocolate Dunking Sauce
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Prepare to fry the churros by heating 1 to 1 1/2 inches of oil in a deep pan
to 360 degrees F.
- Churros: To make churro dough, heat water, butter and salt to rolling boil in 3-quart
pan. Stir in flour. Stir vigorously over low heat until mixture forms a ball, about
1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- Beat eggs all at once, and continue beating until smooth and then add to saucepan
while stirring mixture. Spoon mixture into a piping tube with large star tip. Squeeze
4-inch strips of dough into hot oil. Fry 3 or 4 strips at a time until golden brown,
turning once, about 2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels.
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon. Roll churros in the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Serve with Chocolate Dunking Sauce.
- Chocolate Dunking Sauce: Place the chocolate and 1/2 of the milk in a pan over
low heat. When the chocolate has melted, dissolve the cornstarch in the remaining
milk and whisk into the chocolate with the sugar. Cook over low heat, whisking constantly,
until the chocolate is thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove and whisk until smooth.
Pour into serving cups for dipping churros.