Fried Custard Squares
This is a Basque recipe.
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 egg, beaten
- Oil and butter (for frying)
- Confectioners' sugar
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Beat the egg yolks and add sugar and flour a little at a time, beating
with a wooden spoon until smooth. Add cinnamon to the milk and bring
to a boil.
- Add the milk to the egg mixture while beating. Place the mixture
in a saucepan with the tablespoon of butter. Cook over medium heat,
stirring constantly, until it thickens (about 10 minutes).
- Cool slightly, then pour into a buttered 8- or 9-inch square pan.
Spread evenly and thinly, about 1/4 inch) and chill for several
- Remove from the refrigerator and cut into small squares. Dip lightly
into flour and beaten egg, then fry quickly in hot vegetable oil
and butter (about 40 seconds on each side). Drain; sprinkle with
confectioners' sugar and serve.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Southwestern Dessert Recipes