Fried Custard Squares
This is a Basque recipe.
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 egg, beaten
- Oil and butter (for frying)
- Confectioners' sugar
- Beat the egg yolks and add sugar and flour a little at a time, beating
with a wooden spoon until smooth. Add cinnamon to the milk and bring
to a boil.
- Add the milk to the egg mixture while beating. Place the mixture
in a saucepan with the tablespoon of butter. Cook over medium heat,
stirring constantly, until it thickens (about 10 minutes).
- Cool slightly, then pour into a buttered 8- or 9-inch square pan.
Spread evenly and thinly, about 1/4 inch) and chill for several
- Remove from the refrigerator and cut into small squares. Dip lightly
into flour and beaten egg, then fry quickly in hot vegetable oil
and butter (about 40 seconds on each side). Drain; sprinkle with
confectioners' sugar and serve.