Chicken and Bell Pepper Fajitas
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 10 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch-wide strips
- 1 large yellow or green bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch-wide strips
- Using meat mallet, lightly pound chicken between sheets of wax
paper to thickness of 1/2 inch.
- Mix 2 tablespoons oil, lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper in
large glass baking dish. Add chicken and turn to coat. Cover
and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or up to 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wrap tortillas in foil. Heat in oven until warmed through, about
10 minutes. Turn oven off. Leave tortillas in oven.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high
heat. Add onion and sauté for 3 minutes. Add bell peppers and
sauté until vegetables are tender-crisp, about 4 minutes. Season
with salt and pepper. Transfer vegetables to large bowl and
tent with foil to keep warm.
- Do not clean skillet. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in same skillet
over medium-high heat. Remove chicken from marinade; discard
marinade. Add chicken to skillet and sauté until cooked through,
about 3 minutes per side. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut chicken into 1-inch-wide strips. Combine with vegetables.
- Divide vegetable and chicken mixture among plates. Serve passing
tortillas, salsa, sour cream (or crema) and guacamole.