Margarita Steak with Tumbleweed Salad
- 4 (6 ounce) boneless beef top sirloin steak, cut 3/4 inch thick
- 1/4 pound minced shallots
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup tequila
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon Serrano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2/3 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup lime juice
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup green cabbage, julienned
- 1/4 cup red cabbage, julienned
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, julienned
- 1/4 cup yellow bell pepper, julienned
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, julienned
- 1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Freshly chopped cilantro, to taste
Fresh Pico de Gallo
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 yellow or red onion, minced
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, minced
- Chopped fresh cilantro, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Steaks: Season steaks, to taste, with salt and pepper. Grill beef over medium, ash-covered coals, uncovered to medium-rare to medium (145 degrees F to160 degrees F internal temperature) doneness.
- Margarita Sauce: Combine dry ingredients and produce in food processor; puree. Transfer to large saucepan; whisk in lime and lemon juices. Reduce sauce to light syrup consistency over medium heat. Stir in 1 tablespoon butter. Set aside.
- Tumbleweed Salad: Combine ingredients in bowl; toss lightly. Drizzle with appropriate amount of Margarita Sauce and toss to coat.
- Fresh Pico de Gallo: Combine ingredients in bowl. Adjust use of peppers and cilantro to taste. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve sliced steaks over a mound of Tumbleweed Salad, drizzled with additional Margarita Sauce over beef and salad. Garnish with pico de gallo, cilantro, lime wedges and whole tortilla chips.
Yield: 4 servings | Total: 20 min