South of the Border Ravioli
- 9 ounces fresh cheese-stuffed ravioli
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided use
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cups peeled and chopped fresh tomatoes (about 3 large tomatoes)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 1 ear fresh corn
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1/4 cup hot heavy cream
- Cook ravioli according to package directions. Drain and rinse with
very hot water to which 1 teaspoon of the olive oil has been added.
Drain again, cover and set aside.
- Heat remaining teaspoon of olive oil in large, nonstick skillet.
Add onion and jalapeno pepper and sauté until onion is soft but
not brown. Stir in chopped tomatoes and garlic; simmer about five
- Meanwhile, chop zucchini and remove corn from the cob. Stir these
vegetables into tomatoes. Add chili powder, oregano, cumin, black
pepper and crushed red pepper flakes, if desired. Simmer 5 minutes,
or until zucchini is crisp tender.
- Heat cream for 20 to 30 seconds in microwave and stir into tomato
mixture. Check pasta to ensure the ravioli aren't stuck together.
If they are, rinse again in very hot water.
- Immediately serve ravioli topped with sauce.
Makes 3 servings.
Per serving: 440 calories, 16 g protein, 47 g carbohydrates,
5 g fiber, 23 g fat, 58 mg cholesterol, 471 mg sodium