Clem's Green Chile Apple Pie (T&T)
A very tasty apple pie from New Mexico!
- 6 green chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped OR 1 (4 ounce) can,
- 6–8 medium size tart apples, peeled and quartered, cored and cut in
1/2-inch thick slices
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- Prepare your favorite recipe of pastry dough, enough for 2 crusts.
Divide it in 2 balls and wrap each ball separately in wax paper.
- Toss apples with sugar, flour, lemon peel, nutmeg, cinnamon and chiles.
- Place oven rack at it's lowest position and heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Roll out 1/2 pastry dough and gently fit into pie plate; trim edges,
leaving a 1-inch overhang. Spoon filling into lined plate. Dot with butter.
Roll out remaining dough. Moisten edges of bottom crust with water. Place
together to seal; flute or crimp edge. Brush top crust with a mixture of egg
and water. Cut leaves or little apples with remaining dough and decorate top
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until apples are tender and crust is golden
brown. If crust browns too much near end of baking time, cover loosely with
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 1 pie or 8 servings.
* You can also opt to make a lattice crust as shown in the picture.