Rich and Zesty Tamale Pie
Tamale pie is a delicious dish to serve and enjoy family-style when you want the taste of tamales but prefer the ease of a casserole. Made with yellow or white corn meal, sliced ripe olives and diced green chiles, tamale pie is a Southwestern favorite.
Prep: 20 min | Cook: 50 min | Yield: 6 servings
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 (10 ounce) cans enchilada sauce
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1 (2.25 ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups yellow corn meal
- 2 cups water
- 1 (12 ounce) can NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Pickled jalapeños (optional)
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease 12 x 8 inch baking dish.
- Cook beef, onion and garlic in large skillet until beef is browned; drain. Stir in enchilada sauce, corn, olives and salt.
- Combine corn meal, water, evaporated milk and salt in medium saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, for 5 to 7 minutes or until thick.
- Stir in chiles. Reserve 2 cups corn meal mixture; cover with plastic wrap. Spread remaining corn meal mixture on bottom and up sides of prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
- Spoon meat filling into corn meal crust. Spread reserved corn meal mixture over meat filling.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes; sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Garnish with pickled jalapeños.
Per serving: Calories: 700 Calories from Fat: 270 Total Fat: 30 g Saturated Fat: 13 g Cholesterol: 105 mg Sodium: 1430 mg Carbohydrates: 70 g Dietary Fiber: 4 g Sugars: 12 g Protein: 35 g
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Nestlé® and meals.com