Rich and Zesty Tamale Pie
Tamale pie is a delicious dish to serve and enjoy family-style when you want
the taste of tamales but prefer the ease of a casserole. Made with yellow or white
corn meal, sliced ripe olives and diced green chiles, tamale pie is a Southwestern
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 small onion, peeled
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 (10 ounce) cans enchilada
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1 (2.25 ounce) cans sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups yellow corn meal
- 2 cups water
- 1 (12
ounce) can NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (4 ounce)
can diced green chiles
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease 12 x 8-inch baking dish.
- For Filling: Cook beef, onion and garlic in large skillet until beef is browned;
drain. Stir in enchilada sauce, corn, olives and salt.
- For Crust: Combine corn meal, water, evaporated milk and salt in medium saucepan.
Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, for 5 to 7 minutes or until thick.
- Stir in chiles. Reserve 2 cups corn meal mixture; cover with plastic wrap. Spread
remaining corn meal mixture on bottom and up sides of prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
- Spoon meat filling into corn meal crust. Spread reserved corn meal mixture over
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes; sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Garnish with
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 50 mins
Nutritional information: Calories: 700 Calories from Fat: 270 Total Fat:
30 g Saturated Fat: 13 g Cholesterol: 105 mg Sodium: 1430 mg Carbohydrates: 70 g
Dietary Fiber: 4 g Sugars: 12 g Protein: 35 g
Reprinted with permission from
Nestlé® and meals.com.