Hatch Green Chile Chicken Curry
The unique flavor of the Anaheim chiles grown in the area around
the town of Hatch, New Mexico may be attributed to the intense sunlight
and cool nights of the Mesilla valley. Roasted Hatch green chiles
are widely available during the late August harvest.
- 3 1/2
pounds chicken thighs
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup mustard oil
- 10 cardamom pods
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 - 1 pound
hot Hatch green chiles, chopped
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoon minced ginger
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 large can tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- Wash the chicken thighs, pat dry
with paper towels, and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in
a cast iron pot; brown on all sides in oil over medium heat. Remove
chicken to a platter. Add cardamom to the pot, cook briefly, add
onions and chiles, and sauté until soft.
- Add cinnamon, bay leaves,
ginger, garlic, and cumin, and cook for several minutes more, stirring
- Return the chicken to the pot. Add the tomatoes, crushed,
and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for an hour
or so, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is tender.
- Before serving, reheat, uncover, stir in the garam masala, and
reduce the sauce over medium heat.