- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 1 (10 ounce) can Ro*Tel, pureed
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin seed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 head lettuce, shredded
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 large avocado, pureed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- Salt, to taste
- Seasoned salt, to taste
- Chalupas: In separate pans heat the beans and the Ro*Tel tomatoes. Fry tortillas
in oil for 1 minute on each side or until lightly browned. Drain
on a paper towel and salt.
- Discard oil and brown ground chuck. Add
cumin and salt and pepper to taste. Stir.
- Spread hot beans on each
tortilla. Sprinkle over beans a layer of meat, onion, lettuce and
diced tomatoes. Spoon over each the hot Ro*Tel tomatoes and top
each with cheese. Top with Avocado Dressing, if desired.
- Avocado Dressing: Combine all ingredients.
Serves 12. Two chalupas
make a meal.