Colorful Pepper and Mango Quesadillas
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1 ripe but not too soft mango, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 serrano or jalapeno chile, minced, or some crushed red pepper flakes to taste, optional
- Flour tortillas (great to use two or three different colors/flavors)
- Heat oil in large nonreactive skillet over medium heat. Add peppers,
onions, chili powder and oregano. Sauté for 2 minutes until softened.
- Add mango, cilantro, lime and hot pepper, if using. Stir to combine
well; let cool.
- For each quesadilla, spread 3/4 cup filling over the tortilla. Spread
2 tablespoons of your favorite salsa over the filling. Sprinkle
1/2 cup shredded cheese over the salsa and top with the second tortilla.
Quesadillas can be assembled a day before cooking and stored stacked
on a plate, covered well in your refrigerator.
- Bake quesadillas
on a baking pan in a preheated 375 degree F oven 10 minutes or sauté
them in a nonstick pan sprayed with no-stick cooking spray. Cook
for 2 minutes on each side until lightly browned and cheese is melted.
- After cooking, cut into 2-inch-wide wedges and garnish.
Makes enough for about 3 (9-inch) quesadillas; each makes 3 to 4
appetizer servings or 2 entree servings.