Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 2 ancho chiles and 6 chipotle chiles, stemmed, seeded and roasted
- 10 large cloves garlic, roasted
- 1 cup molasses, or to taste
- 2 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- Salt, to taste
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil and
sauté onions until they are browned and completely soft, about 3
- Add vinegar and bring it to a simmer. Add chiles to the pan along
with the garlic, molasses and ketchup; stir well to blend. Simmer
for 5 to 8 minutes or until the flavors are blended.
- Add some or all of the water to adjust the consistency. Put sauce
into a blender and puree it until smooth. Strain sauce through a
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 8 days.