This gives a marvelous barbecued flavor to scallops, poultry and meats.
- 2 1/2 pieces dried chipotle chiles
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seed
- 2 teaspoons diced sun-dried tomatoes, not packed in oil (optional)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon peppercorns
- Toast chipotles, cumin and coriander. If using dried tomatoes, put
them in a spice grinder with the sugar and other spices. Grind mixture
until the spices are well blended and the tomato is ground. If the
tomatoes do not grind finely enough, sift the rub through a coarse-meshed
sieve to remove the large pieces.
- Store in airtight container for up to 3 weeks.