Fried Serrano Chile Salsa (Salsa de Chile Serrano Frito)
Serrano chiles give this Mexican sauce its bite and light green color. Use it on warm tortillas or grilled meats.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 green serrano chiles
- 1 (3/4-inch thick) slice from medium-size white onion
- 1/2 garlic clove, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Fry chiles until
blistered, about 3 minutes. Remove chiles from oil. Cool chiles
and chile oil completely.
- Line a large skillet with foil; heat over medium heat. Add onion
and cook until softened and blacked in spots, about 5 minutes per
- Cut stems off chiles. Combine chiles, onion, garlic, salt and 2
tablespoons chile oil in blender; chop finely. With blender running,
slowly drizzle in remaining chile oil and blend until thick.
- Can be made 1 day ahead; cover and chill.
Yield: about 3/4 cup
Source: Bon Appetit, May 2003