- 1 pint prepared mole poblano paste
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth, strained
- 1 tablespoon Hershey's cocoa
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons lard
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (or less)
- Blend mole paste with 3 cups of the chicken broth in a blender.
Mix cocoa with hot water. Add cocoa paste, vinegar and garlic cloves.
Add a little more chicken broth. The sauce must not be too thick
to start with.
- In the lard, brown flour until golden. Add the mixture from the
blender, rinse out the blender with 1 cup warm water, then add that
to the sauce. Correct seasoning. Start adding sugar until it is
of the sweetness you desire.
Chicken in Mole Poblano: Poach about 5 pounds of fryer chicken pieces. Place the warm chicken
pieces in the sauce and cook over very slow heat for 30 minutes.
Keep the kettle covered, but stir often and check for sticking.
The roux should give you a sauce of medium-thick consistency that
hold together well. Keep stirring the grease into the sauce unless
you are counting calories.
Serve in a deep serving dish and sprinkle with sesame seeds which
have been toasted with a little bit of butter.
Serve with fresh hot corn tortillas and rice.