Rustic Beef Caldo
- 3 pounds beef shank cross cuts, cut 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14 to 14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 cups coarsely chopped cabbage
- 2 medium ears corn, husked, cut into 3 pieces each
- 1/2 pound small red-skinned potatoes, cut in half or left whole if small
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium zucchini or Mexican zucchini, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 lime, cut into wedges (optional)
- Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown beef shanks, in batches,
on all sides. Pour off drippings.
- Return beef to stockpot. Add water, broth, cilantro, garlic, salt, pepper
and cumin; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1 3/4 to 2
hours or until beef is fork-tender.
- Add cabbage, corn, potatoes, onion and carrots to stockpot; return to a
simmer. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20 minutes.
- Add zucchini and tomatoes; simmer, covered, 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables
- Garnish with lime wedges, if desired.
Total recipe time: 2 3/4 to 3 hr | Makes 6 servings
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
National Cattlemen's Beef Association
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Southwestern Soup Recipes