Tortilla Soup with Roast Turkey, Avocado and Cheddar Cheese
This homemade tortilla soup with garden-fresh ingredients like tomatoes, onions, garlic and chiles and hearty
roasted turkey is especially delicious topped with fresh California avocados. It’s a great use for leftover Thanksgiving
turkey and also can be made with store-bought rotisserie chicken.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
- 1 small Spanish yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 Anaheim chiles, seeded and chopped
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 bunch cilantro (optional), washed and chopped
- 2 cups roasted or smoked turkey, cut in 1/2 -inch cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder (or to taste)
Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large, ripe fresh California avocado, diced
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- In a two quart saucepan, heat olive oil over medium high heat until hot.
- Working in batches, fry tortilla strips until golden brown. Drain on paper
towels and reserve.
- Add onion to the same oil and sauté until clear.
- Add garlic and Anaheim chiles, cook until soft but not browned. Drain any
excess oil from the pan.
- Add tomatoes, chicken stock and chopped cilantro if desired.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Transfer soup to a heat-resistant blender or food processor and purée, or use an
immersion blender to purée.
- Return soup to pan and add turkey, cayenne pepper, ground cumin and chili
powder. Simmer until turkey is hot, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into soup bowls and top each serving with avocado, cheddar cheese, and reserved
crispy tortilla strips.
Also delicious with roast chicken instead of roast turkey.
Great with a frosty margarita.
*Large avocados are recommended for
this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger
size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Nutrition information per
serving: Calories 370; Total Fat 18 g (Sat 4 g, Trans 0 g, Poly 2.5 g, Mono 10
g); Cholesterol 80 mg; Sodium 330 mg; Potassium 880 mg; Total Carbohydrates 20
g; Dietary Fiber 5 g; Total Sugars 6 g; Protein 32 g; Vitamin A 1533 IU; Vitamin
C 33 mg; Calcium 169 mg; Iron 2 mg; Vitamin D 8 IU; Folate 70 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty
Acid 0.16 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 30%; Vitamin C 50%; Calcium 15%; Iron 10%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 Calorie diet. Your
Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: California Avocado Commission