Chipotle Beef Tamales
Tamales are masa (corn flour) dough filled with savory or sweet fillings and
wrapped in corn husks then steamed. They are time-consuming to prepare so gather
your family and make the preparation a party.
Chipotle Beef Filling
- 3 pounds beef brisket
- 3 teaspoons McCormick® Garlic Salt
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 tablespoon McCormick® Chipotle Chili Pepper
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Cumin, Ground
- 1 tablespoon McCormick® Chili Powder, Hot Mexican Style
- 75 corn husks
- 10 cups instant corn masa flour for tamales
- 4 teaspoons McCormick® Gourmet Collection Chile Pepper, Ancho
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups lard
- 8 cups beef broth
- Chipotle Beef Filling: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Sprinkle beef
with 2 teaspoons of the garlic salt. Place in foil-lined 13x9-inch baking pan.
Add 1 cup of the water to pan. Cover with foil.
- Bake brisket 4 hours or until meat is very tender. (Bake chuck roast 3 hours).
- Transfer beef to cutting board. Let stand until cooled enough to handle.
Cut beef into quarters. Finely shred then coarsely chop the shredded beef.
- Heat oil in large skillet on medium heat. Add tomatoes, onion, raisins,
apricots, chipotle pepper, chili powder, cumin and remaining 1 teaspoon garlic
salt; cook and stir for 10 minutes. Stir in remaining 1 cup water. Cook for
5 minutes longer. Add chopped beef; mix well.
- Tamales: Soak corn husks in hot water for 30 minutes or overnight until
soft and pliable.
- Mix masa flour, ancho chile pepper, baking powder and salt in very large
bowl. Beat lard in another very large bowl with electric mixer on medium-high
speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Beat in half of the masa flour
mixture on medium-low speed until blended. Alternately beat in broth with remaining
masa flour mixture on medium-low speed until the consistency of a thick cake
batter. (The masa should hold its shape in a spoon). Drain corn husks and pat
- To assemble each tamale, spread 3 tablespoons masa into 4 1/2 x 4-inch rectangle
starting at wide end of husk. Spoon 2 tablespoons Chipotle Beef Filling in center
of masa. Use one long side of husk to roll masa over filling. Repeat with other
long side of husk. Do not roll husk into masa. Roll husk around tamale to enclose.
Fold up the narrow end of the husk and tie with long thin strips of husk or
- Pour 1 inch of water into large pot. Stand tamales with open ends up in
steamer basket. (Place as many tamales as will fit in basket. You will need
to steam in batches.) Cover tamales with a layer of husks. Insert steamer basket
in pot. Cover. Bring to boil. Steam over medium heat fir 1 hour or until husk
peels away easily from tamale and masa is slightly firm. (Tamales will continue
to firm up when removed from heat.) Repeat with remaining tamales.
Yield: 66 (1 tamale) appetizer servings
Nutritional information (amount per serving): Calories: 173 Sodium: 304mg
Fat: 9g Carbohydrates: 17gCholesterol: 18mg Protein: 6g Fiber: 2g
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):