- 12 - 15 cups basic fresh masa
- 1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 2 cups granulated
sugar or use less to taste
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground
- 1 tablespoon ground mace
- 2 cups dark or golden raisins
- 36 to 48 dried corn husks, soaked, washed and drained plus more for ties
- Prepare the masa. In a large bowl combine the masa, pumpkin and sugar. Add
the vanilla extract, mace, cinnamon and raisins; mix until well blended.
- To assemble the tamales, place 2 to 3 heaping tablespoons of the masa mixture
in the middle of the smooth side of the corn husk. Fold the sides of the husk
in toward the center and tie the tamale at both ends with a strand of corn husk.
Prick the husk several times using the tip of a very sharp knife. Repeat for
the remaining tamales.
- Steam the tamales for 45 - 50 minutes.
- Serve with a dollop of crema or sour cream.
Yield: 3 - 4 dozen tamales