Serve Raspberry Tamales warm with a garnish of fresh berries and mint sprigs.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 1/2 cups Masa Harina
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups sweet corn kernels, pureed
- 1 1/2 cups raspberries, pureed and strained
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup almonds, toasted and chopped
- 1 tablespoon candied lemon peel, minced (optional)
- Fresh raspberries for garnish
- Mint sprigs for garnish
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle, beat the butter until
light and fluffy (4-5 minutes). Add the masa, baking powder, salt and sugar
and mix until blended. Add the water, corn puree, raspberry puree and vanilla
extract and mix just until combined. Dough should be light and very moist.
- Spread the dough on soaked corn husks in a square approximately 1/4 inch
thick. Distribute some of the raisins, almonds and candied lemon peel in center
and roll up to form a cylindrical shape. Tie or fold ends of husks over to enclose
- Steam tamales for 30 minutes.
Yield: 10 to 12 tamales