This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Potato Pancakes (Panqes de Papa)
- 6 red potatoes
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Bring water to boil in a large pot. Peel potatoes and cut into 1-inch pieces.
Put into boiling water and boil until potatoes are fully cooked. Drain, then
- Heat oven to 150 degrees F. Beat potatoes on medium speed of an electric
mixer until smooth. Mix in eggs, cheese, salt and 1/2 cup of the bread crumbs.
Form 1-inch balls and then flatten the balls into rounds.
- In a heavy skillet, heat the oil. Dip potato pancakes in remaining bread
crumbs and fry pancakes until brown on both sides - 1 minute on each side, then
30 seconds on the first side again.
- Place fried pancakes on a paper towel on an ovenproof platter. When finished
frying potato pancakes, discard the paper and place the pancakes in the oven
until ready to serve.
Yield: 6 servings