Hot and Spicy Tofu Soup
- 10 ounces extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (more or less)
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 6 cups vegetable stock (low sodium)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon hot mung bean paste or hot sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon Szechwan hot sauce or any other hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 5 white mushrooms, sliced
- 3 ripe plum tomatoes, peeled and chopped coarsely
- Wakame (dried seaweed- optional)
- Ramen noodles (optional)
- Press the water out of the tofu.
- Wrap the tofu in plastic wrap, and put the tofu in the freezer overnight.
- Remove the tofu from the refrigerator and let thaw in hot water.
- Cut tofu into small 1/2-inch square cubes.
- In a large soup pot, heat up the oil; add tofu and stir around until
tofu is brown on the edges (10 minutes). Add onion, garlic and 1/2
cup of stock. Stir until vegetables are soft - about 10 minutes).
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer on low for 30 minutes.
- Add cooked noodles prior to serving.