Spicy Korean Tofu
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 or 5 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium white onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons kochujang (Korean red chili pepper paste)
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 2/3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 pound broccoli florets
- 1 pound firm tofu, drained well and sliced
- 4 green onions
- 3 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Sauté garlic, carrots and onion in olive oil for several minutes
in a large pan.
- Mix kochujang, cayenne pepper, sugar and soy sauce in a small bowl.
(Omit cayenne if you want this dish to be mild. The kochujang is,
by itself, spicy - and if you like things really spicy, toss in
2 tablespoons of cayenne, or even more.)
- Add mixture, broccoli, green onions and tofu to pan. Mix gently
until vegetables and tofu are covered with pepper sauce.
- Add water to pan and cover. Let steam for a few minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add sesame oil; mix gently.
- Serve hot over rice.