- 1 head garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 fresh Poblano or pasilla chiles
- 1/2 cup raw, shelled pumpkin seeds
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatillos, drained
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock or water
- 1 1/2 pounds extra-firm tofu
- 1/4 cup tamari or good soy sauce
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Remove outer skin from garlic head and cut head in half crosswise.
Rub cut surfaces in olive oil. Wrap garlic in foil and bake 35 to
40 minutes until garlic is soft.
- Set aside until cool enough to
handle. Squeeze garlic cloves from their skins.
- Remove stems and seeds from chiles. Roast under broiler, turning
frequently, until skin is evenly blistered and slightly charred.
Place in a paper bag and let cool. Remove skins from chiles and
- Toast pumpkin seeds in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat,
shaking the pan often until seeds have puffed (about 3 minutes).
Do not brown. Transfer seeds to a small bowl, then set aside to
- Grind pumpkin seeds to a fine meal in a food processor or blender.
Add roasted garlic, chiles, tomatillos, peppers and cilantro or
parsley and continue pureeing until smooth. Heat in a medium skillet
and add stock. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Slice tofu 1/2-inch thick. Brush tofu with tamari and grill over
hot coals or broil in oven (5 minutes per side).
- Serve tofu on a bed of rice topped with mole sauce.