Greek Walnut Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup sweetened apple juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and cloves. Stir
in walnuts. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar at high speed until
foamy. Add 1/2 cup of the sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating constantly until
sugar is dissolved and whites are glossy and stand in soft peaks. (Rub just a bit
of meringue between thumb and forefinger to feel if sugar has dissolved.)
- In small mixing bowl, beat egg yolks at high speed until thick and lemon-colored,
about 5 minutes.
- Gradually beat in 1/2 cup of the remaining sugar. Sprinkle flour mixture over
whites. Add beaten yolk mixture. Gently, but thoroughly, fold yolk mixture into
whites. Pour into greased and floured 10-inch springform pan. Gently spread batter
- Bake in preheated 350 degrees F oven until top springs back when lightly touched
with finger, about 45 to 50 minutes. Remove cake from oven. Cool completely. Remove
cake from pan and invert onto serving platter. Pierce top of cake with a skewer
- In small saucepan, stir together apple juice, remaining 1/2 cup sugar, lemon
juice and lemon peel. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture
boils. Remove from heat. Slowly spoon syrup over cake until absorbed.
Posted by Olga at Recipe Goldmine 4/4/02 5:34:04 pm.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.