Lemon Sponge Cake (Pantespani)
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 lemon rind, grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Beat egg yolks and sugar several minutes until light and creamy.
- Sift dry ingredients together and gradually add to batter. Add lemon rind and
- Beat egg whites until stiff and fold gently into batter. Pour into greased and
floured 13 x 9-inch pan. Spoon melted butter evenly OVER top.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Slowly spoon cooled syrup over hot cake.
- Syrup: Combine sugar, water and lemon juice and gently boil for 5 to 7-minutes,
or until candy thermometer reaches 205 degrees F.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.