Gateau de Figue (Cajun Fig Cake)
This recipe goes back five generations in the Guidry family of Church Point,
- 1 cup chopped fresh figs
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a Bundt pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, blending after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, soda and spices. Add these
dry ingredients, alternately with the buttermilk, into the sugar mixture. Stir constantly
until all ingredients are well incorporated into the batter.
- Add vanilla extract, pecans and figs. Stir well and pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for approximately 1 hour or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Allow to cool. Remove from pan.
- Serve with ice cream or a dollop of fresh whipped cream if desired.