Tied-Up Beans (Frijoles Maneados)
- 1 ancho chile (optional)
- Water (optional)
- 2 cupsBeans from the Pot or other cooked whole pinto beans, plus 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 4 to 6 ounces asadero or mozzarella cheese, grated
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Soak the chile in enough hot water to cover it, if you wish to have a more spicy
version of the dish.
- When the chile is pliable, cut it into thin slices.
- In a food processor, puree the beans and their liquid with the milk.
- In a baking dish, warm the fat over medium heat.
- Stir in the onion, garlic, cumin and ancho slices and warm through.
- Remove the dish from the stove and stir in the beans.
- Transfer the beans to the oven and bake them for 1 hour, or until they appear
very thick and begin to dry out.
- Stir in the cheese and return the beans to the oven, baking just until the cheese
has melted through, about 5 minutes.