Sizzling Shrimp Po’ Boys
with Blueberry Remoulade
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Vegetable oil, as needed
- 4 (6-inch long) sub rolls, split and hinged
- 1 small head Boston lettuce
- Blueberry Remoulade
- Pickled Blueberries and Onions
- In a medium bowl, combine milk and egg.
- In another medium bowl, stir cornmeal, flour, Old Bay and salt.
- To the milk mixture, add shrimp, a few at a time, to coat. Remove one shrimp,
allow excess liquid to drain off, and roll in the cornmeal mixture to coat well.
- Place on a plate or rack. Repeat to coat all the shrimp.
- Meanwhile, pour oil 1-inch deep, into a large saucepan; over medium-high
heat, heat oil to 350 degrees F.
- Gently place 4 to 6 shrimp in the hot oil and fry until golden and crispy
on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes; drain on paper towels.
- Repeat to fry all the shrimp, adding more oil, if needed.
- To serve, spread rolls with
add lettuce and top with shrimp.
- Serve with
Pickled Blueberries and Onions.
Prep time: 20 min | Cooking time: 15-20 min | Yield: 4 sandwiches
Recipe and photo credit: U.S. Highbush Blueberry Council