Baked Zucchini Sticks and Sweet Onion Dip
Here's a guilt-free way to enjoy the crunchy outside (and juicy inside) of a restaurant-style zucchini stick.
Sweet Onion Dip
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium sweet onion, about 1/2 pound, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 medium zucchini, unpeeled, cut into 3-inch long sticks
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- scant 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Pizza Seasoning or mixed Italian herbs
- olive oil spray
- 1/2 cup egg substitute; or 2 large eggs; or 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
- To make the dip: Melt the butter in a medium frying pan over moderate heat, and
add the sliced onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions soften, then
caramelize. This should take between 10 and 15 minutes. The lower the heat, the
longer it takes, but the less likely you are to burn the onions.
- Once the onions are a medium brown, remove from the heat and add the vinegar.
- Place the onions and vinegar into a small food processor. Add the honey and mustard,
and process or blend until smooth.
- Add the mayonnaise and salt and pepper to taste, stirring to combine. Refrigerate,
covered, until ready to serve.
- To make the zucchini sticks: Place the zucchini sticks in a colander over a bowl
and sprinkle with the tablespoon of salt. Let the zucchini drain for 1 hour or longer;
rinse and pat dry.
- Combine the Panko, Parmesan, and pizza seasoning; set aside.
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment, and spray
the parchment with olive oil.
- Dredge sticks a few at a time in the egg, then roll in the crumb mixture. Place
the sticks on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake sticks for 12 minutes, turn over, and bake for an additional 8 minutes,
until golden brown and crisp.
- Serve immediately, with sweet onion dip.
Yield: about 3 dozen zucchini sticks and 1 1/2 cups dip
Prep time: 30 to 50 mins. | Baking time: 20 to 20 mins.