Ham and Pineapple Skewers
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups orange juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 whole-wheat bread slices
- 1/2 pound ham
- 16 ounces pineapple chunks in juice (canned)
- Vegetable oil
- 30 (3- or 4-inch) wooden picks
- Fit the steel knife into the work bowl of a food processor.
- Combine flour, orange juice, mustard, baking powder, salt and pepper in the bowl.
Process for 10 seconds, until well mixed. Pour batter into a deep bowl.
- Cut bread and ham into 1/2-inch cubes. Place a cube of bread, a cube of pineapple
and a cube of ham on a wooden pick.
- Repeat to make 30 appetizers.
- Pour oil into a large deep skillet to a depth of 2 inches. Heat oil to 325 degrees
- Dip each appetizer into batter to coat completely. Carefully lower wooden picks
into hot oil. Deep-fry for 5 minutes or until golden brown on all sides. Use tongs
to remove and drain on paper towels.
- Serve warm.
Yield: 30 appetizers