Toolbox Jalapeno Poppers
Toolbox Jalapeno Poppers are probably the most unique poppers you will ever make!
Yield: about 20 poppers
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound medium-size jalapeno peppers
- 8 ounces Cabot Sharp Light Cheddar, grated (about 2 cups)
- 1 (16 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Electric drill with clean 1/4-inch bit
- Propane torch
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat baking sheet or muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Cut tops off peppers. Using drill in rotating motion, ream out seeds and membranes inside each pepper; rinse with water (peppers will be whole and hollow.)
- In food processor, combine cheese, garbanzo beans, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, chili powder, red pepper flakes and salt; process until smooth.
- Scrape mixture into 1-quart plastic zip-close bag; snip off one 1/4-inch corner from bag and pipe mixture into peppers.
- Place stuffed peppers on prepared baking sheet or lean them in muffin tin wells to keep filling inside while baking.
- Bake for 30 minutes; remove from oven.
- Light propane torch and scorch pepper skins until slightly blackened.