Beef and Blue Cocktail Sandwiches
Blue Cheese Spread
- 1 1/2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 6 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup walnut halves, toasted and chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large, sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, or to taste
- 36 cocktail sandwich buns
- 1 1/2 pounds deli sliced roast beef
- Blue Cheese Spread: Beat cream cheese with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Add sour cream, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Stir until blended.
- Stir in blue cheese and walnuts.
- Cover and chill for two hours.
- Caramelized Onions: Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onions. Cook, stirring often, for 30 minutes or until caramelized.
- Stir in vinegar and pepper. Remove from heat, cool slightly.
- Assembly: Split rolls in half.
- Spread tops and bottoms of rolls with the blue cheese spread.
- Place roast beef on bottoms of rolls.
- Top beef with caramelized onions.
- Cover with tops.
The blue cheese spread and caramelized onions may be made one day ahead.
Assemble the sandwiches no more than 2 hours before serving.