Cucumber, Hummus and Lemon Tea Sandwiches
- 6 slices nutty oat bread, crusts removed
- 1/2 medium English cucumber (about 5 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 medium lemon
- 6 tablespoons hummus, prepared or homemade
- Use a rolling pin to flatten each slice of bread.
- Using a mandoline or a very sharp knife, slice cucumber into paper-thin
rounds, about 1/16 inch thick.
- Place slices in a medium mixing bowl, and toss with salt.
- Place cucumber slices in a colander or sieve set over a mixing bowl;
let drain for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, using a mandoline or a very sharp knife, slice lemon into paper-thin
rounds, about 1/16 inch thick, removing any seeds as you go. Set slices aside.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of the hummus evenly on one side of each slice of bread.
- Lightly blot cucumber slices with paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- Shingle cucumber slices over hummus on 3 slices of bread—you should use roughly
10 to 12 slices on each sandwich. Top cucumbers with a layer of lemon slices (about 4 slices per sandwich).
- Close sandwiches with remaining slices of bread.
- Trim the edges again.
- Cut each sandwich into 4 squares.