Duchess of York Tea Sandwiches
- 1 hard-boiled egg, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fine ground white pepper
- 2 slices soft extra-thin whole wheat sandwich bread, crusts removed
- 2 large asparagus spears, trimmed, peeled and steamed
- Mash egg with fork and add curry powder, mayonnaise and salt and pepper
to taste. Mix thoroughly.
- Divide spread equally between two slices of bread and spread it over surface,
leaving one edge clean.
- Arrange cooked asparagus spears at edge of each slice,
opposite the clean edge and roll up to enclose filling.
- Wrap rolls in plastic or wax paper and chill for at least one hour.
- Using a very sharp knife, cut each roll into 4 bite-size sandwiches.
- Serve cut-end up.
Fresh, soft bread is needed to make the rolls and not have splits in the