Sweet Potatoes - Healthy, Delicious & Easy to Cook
Even though sweet potatoes are usually considered Thanksgiving fare, the nutritional
world has been a proponent of their health benefits for years. Thankfully, the culinary
world is catching up and sweet potatoes are now a menu staple at many restaurants.
Sweet potatoes are loaded with carotenoids, vitamin C, potassium and fiber and
are considered one of the 10 best foods for you on the planet. If all that isn’t
good enough for you, they are delicious as well.
For those who are conscious about consuming too many carbs, don’t worry! You
can consider them “good carbs” and it is perfectly acceptable to add them to your
Sweet Potatoes Make a Great Snack Too
Some people shy away from cooking sweet potatoes because they think it may be
difficult. Let me tell you, it isn’t. Sweet potatoes are very simple to prepare.
The first and easiest method is to cook them in the microwave; something kids can
do for themselves after school instead of firing up an Easy Mac.
- Wash the sweet potato and rub off dirt. Do not dry because you will need this
moisture to cook.
- Puncture with a fork several times to avoid the sweet potato exploding in the
- Wrap the sweet potato in a paper towel.
- Place in microwave on a microwave safe plate.
- Set the timer for 8-10 minutes depending on the size of the sweet potato.
- When it’s done, let the sweet potato sit for a few minutes to let the cooking
- Add your favorite toppings like butter, brown sugar and cinnamon or just eat
as is for the healthiest option.
Baked Sweet Potato Fries
Here is my favorite method for cooking sweet potatoes. It is one recipe that
everyone in my family loves and there are never any left overs! I usually bake one
sweet potato per person.
- Wash sweet potatoes and rub off the dirt. Dry well.
- Cut sweet potatoes in wedges, leaving skin on for maximum nutritional benefit.
- Toss sweet potatoes in a few tablespoons of olive oil and Cajun seasoning (this
can be easily found in the spice section of your grocery store; you will soon be
adding it to everything!)
- Lay sweet potatoes in a flat baking pan shaking them to make sure they are
all in one layer.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes depending on your oven. You can turn
them over midway between cooking if you want them crunchier.
- Serve as a side dish or even a main course; vegans eat these in truckloads!
Article courtesy of
Moms Kitchen Gadgets
– a great resource for helpful, honest and in-depth reviews on products like the
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.