Mayan Hot Chocolate
If you have not seen the movie "Chocolat" rent it! - it is wonderful!
I have looked for this recipe off and on for months and finally found it through
e-mailing an Australian confectioner. This drink is as close as we can get with
modern ingredients to the Mayan drink (from the movie) - it will cure anything from
PMS to heart disease to a broken heart.
This can be made and then chilled and served cold... but even in 100+ heat..it
is sooo good in the morning. Better than coffee! I used more hot pepper than called
- 1 chile pepper, cut in half, seeds removed
- 5 cups light cream, or whole milk or nonfat milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1 to 2 cinnamon sticks
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate OR 3 tablets Mexican chocolate, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar or honey or to taste
- 1 tablespoon almonds or hazelnuts, ground extra fine
- Add chile pepper to 2 cups boiling water. Cook until liquid is reduced to 1 cup.
- Remove chile pepper; strain for stray seeds, and set aside.
- In a medium-size saucepan, combine cream or milk, vanilla bean and cinnamon
stick. Heat over medium flame until bubbles appear around the edge. Reduce heat
to low; add chocolate and sugar or honey; whisk occasionally until chocolate
is melted and sugar dissolves.
- Turn off heat; remove vanilla bean and cinnamon stick, stir in ground almonds
- Add chile pepper infusion, a little at a time, making sure the flavor isn't
too strong. If chocolate is too thick, thin with a little more milk.
Source: Terry S.